Cap the Collie

Cap hiding in the Hostas!
It's a very sad day today for me and Lizzie – it's exactly one year since we lost our beautiful Cap. If you've not had the privilege to have had a dog like Cap living with you for nearly fifteen years then it's hard to explain what a void is left when they leave you. Cap was truly my best friend – I spent more time with him than anyone and he travelled with me where ever I went in the UK.

There wasn't a better fellow for sharing sport with, he'd run for hours alongside a mountain bike, track me from the ground when I was flying my paraglider and climb any mountain I could.

He brought massive character to the shop and people came in just to see him. His settee at Mountainfeet is still there and I couldn't bear to see it go. Even when enthusiastic children got a bit boisterous with him, he never snapped – in fact I've never seen a more tolerant dog.

When you were feeling blue he'd climb on your lap for a hug – you'd soon feel better about things. He wasn't an attention seeker and he could take or leave being patted or stroked – what he really lived for was being outdoors and active. Which fortunately for him was the same for us!

I remember when he first turned up at our door, an unwanted farm dog from a rescue. An inquisitive black and white face with stick-up ears in front of a skinny body with an incredibly fluffy coat! He looked like a cross between a badger and a husky and I fell in love instantly. Lizzie and I were the luckiest people in the world that day – no way we could know then what quality he was going to bring to the next fifteen years...

Today, I'm sitting here writing this and missing him so much...
Follow Si's blog using RSS feeds